Kelman, Tom wrote:
We run Connect:Direct (used to be called NDM) from Sterling Commerce.
Yesterday afternoon the started task, CDNDM, took from 50-60% of an
engine on our z9BC for almost 2 hours while it transferred a large file.
This caused us to hit our softcap and affected other tasks in the
system.  We have the CDNDM task running in our STCLO service class which
is set for Vel=50 and an importance level of 4.  It was still running at
a high DP and grabbed the CPU.  I can't understand why a task that is
basically transmitting a file over the network should need this much
CPU.  My only explanation might be that it is compressing the data
before putting it on the network and the compression algorithm isn't the
most efficient in the world.

Has anyone else had this kind of a problem running Connect:Direct?
What, if anything, did you do to control it?

Tom Kelman

Commerce Bank of Kansas City

(816) 760-7632

What is the bandwidth between your site and the other site?
Which model z9BC?

Depending on which model I would make a wild guess that a link that has enough available bandwidth to keep a CPU on most z9BC's 50-60% busy for 2 hours would be fast enough not to need compression.

Does Connect:Direct have an option to encrypt the data on the fly? Could that be turned on?