On Wed, 14 May 2008 15:42:47 -0500, Field, Alan C. wrote:

>For DR we used to do this but for the last couple of years we define our
>home CFs (CF1 and CF2) in the CFRM policy. We also define the DR CFs
>(CF3 and CF4) in the same policy and in the structure preflist put
>(CF1,CF2,CF3,CF4),
>
>At home the structures allocate in CF1 and CF2. When we go to DR they
>allocate in CF3 and CF4. No need to delete and rebuild anything.

Yes, that's what we discussed doing for our upcoming test, too.  The
compelling reason to do what we did this past Sunday was to establish/confirm
procedures for a "Plan B" and possible "Plan C" at DR.

The problem with relying on the DR CFs is that the CFRM CF entries are
specific to the model and serial involved ... and are therefore too closely
tied
to the whims of the DR vendor.  If the DR vendor du jour upgrades or replaces
the CF system and give us appropriate notice then "Plan A" will work without
deleting or rebuilding anything (as you say).  Trouble is, that vendor planning
communication hasn't been all that reliable or timely in the past.  That meant
that having a Plan B and a Plan C seemed like a really good idea.

I don't hate the idea of defining a fresh CFRM at the DR site; I dispute the
widely held belief that there is no other option.

--
Tom Schmidt