In a message dated 8/19/2008 3:45:43 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>AFAIK the first software patent was granted to Martin Goetz of
Applied Data Research, Inc. (ADR) in the sixties...

I remember seeing this event well-publicized in the trade journals at the
time.

A colleague of mine and I jokingly came up with a new product idea once for
allocating files, deleting files, and many other useful functions.  Now I  see
I can also patent it.  It's called IEFBR14.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software

deal here.