>>All of the specialty engines types except zAAP have technological and
>>contractual means of restricting their use to the IBM-desired "new"
>>workloads. But an engine that runs Java by design in order to attract new
>>work (hopefully from Sun or HP boxes) can't really look at your JVM
>>bytecodes and say "this <looks> like something that was originally written
>>in COBOL so we won't run it", any more than an airline can say "you <look>
>>like a business traveller, so we'll charge you five times the rate your
>>seatmates are paying for this flight".
>>
>>My wild guess is that if zcobol looks like a real threat, IBM will just buy
>>it.
>>And maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing from its developer's point of
>>view...

Tony, all

Thanks for the vote of support for zcobol as a tool potentially worth buying.
There are no plans to sell it and once it is released under open source GPL
license as part of z390 starting March 3, 2009 coinciding with the official
announcement and demo at SHARE sesssion 8194, it will be available to
everyone including all existing COBOL language tool providers to add to their
set of COBOL modernization tools.  Of course it helps to know how the tool
works, so Melvyn Maltz and I might entertain some contract work going
forward to help users and vendors utilize the tool.  Right now it is a really
exciting and challenging development effort that I look forward to sharing at
SHARE.

Don Higgins
d...@higgins.net