John, all

Well its flattering to think that IBM, Micro Focus, or Variant all of which
have
taken an interest in z390, might be interested in trying to buy rights to
zcobol.  But no offers so far.  The plan is still to release zcobol as part of
z390
under GPL in time for SHARE presentation on March 3.  At the suggestion of
Bill Klein, I've started work this week on testing zcobol with the NIST ANSII
COBOL 85 tests available here:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/cobol_form.htm

It comes in 2 GB z type zip (I used Winzip on Windows) which expands to 28
GB single ascii source file with the first program being EXEC85.CBL (2256
lines)
which extracts all the other COBOL test programs.  I'll have a report on
results
for zcobol initial release at SHARE.  It doesn't test things like EXEC CICS or
Enterprise COBOL extensions such as EXTENDED-FLOAT, but it sure looks like
a great test of basic COBOL syntax options such as OPTIONAL on SELECT,
comment phases in INSTALLATION, and use of double versus single quotes
(now all supported).

Don Higgins
d...@higgins.net
www.zcobol.org