At 13:41 -0600 on 01/19/2009, Scott Barry wrote about Re: GDG Question:

The GDG assignment rolls from G9999V00 to **.G0001V00 on this condition.

That is because the GDG is in a VSAM catalog. In the past when CVOL catalogs were used I think you were SOL since there was no rollover ability. For disks, at least you had the ability to recover by doing a rename but this was not an option with tapes (you had to copy the tape and manually rename it with an absolute name - I used to use GxxxxV01 to show it rolled over).