From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Staller, Allan [allan.stal...@kbm1.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 10:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DFHSM Issue - Critical

BTDTGTTS,

This is what has been colloquially known as a 'fatal embrace' and is not
just limited to DFHSM.
In my experience this has been caused by multiple HSM functions running
in parallel with w/DFHSM CDS backup.

The CDS backup enqueues exclusively and seperately on all three CDS's
and the journal. If both (typically) backup and migrgration are running
concurrently with the CDS backup, CDS backup can't get all of the
datasets needed to complete.
CDS backup is, however, designed to run concurrently with normal HSM
operation.

The simplest solution is to move the CDS backup to some other time of
day.

Note: Secondary space management will always take a CDS backup at the
beginning of its cycle.

HTH,
<snip>
But when DFHSM is hanging then even for 2 hours intermittently in
response
to QUERY ACTIVE command gets status CDS Backup in progress. When DFHSM
is
cancelled and restarted then backup completes in few minutes. Can CDS
Backup
run concurrently with other DFHSM operations ?
</snip>