By fail, I would have expected you to get an I/O error reading an
existing file where the COBOL BLOCK CONTAINS is less. But, now I think
about it, recent DFP, like somewhere in the last coupe decades (Probably
around os390 1.4 or 2.5 for us) OPEN got smarter and handles unlike
block sizes much better.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University