In <500f6f1d....@bcs.org.uk>, on 07/25/2012
   at 04:59 AM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>Yes I know that. ADDRESS ISREDIT, on its own, is sufficient to
>cause all commands that follow it to be interpreted as ISREDIT
>ones (without quotes

The need, or lack of need, for quotes has nothing to do with whether
you use a stand-alone ADDRESS statement. You need quotest around text
that you want treated as a constant. You don't need quotes around an
expression that will evaluate to the value you want.

>But I do not normally use ADDRESS except for IPCS: it is just as
>easy, and quicker, to put strings in quotes.

The two have nothing to do with each other.

>That is what I said,

No, you said 'So I assume that "ISPEXEC ..." is calling ISPEXEC
directly', and thast assumption is incorrect.

>except that I use quotes instead of ADDRESS.

They are unrelated to each other. All of these are equivalent[1]:

 ADDRESS ISREDIT "F ALL"
 ADDRESS ISREDIT F ALL
 ADDRESS ISREDIT
 "F ALL"
 F ALL

>Yes, by IPCS call I mean expressions beginning with IPCS

Then it's indirect.

>I am not referring to REXX invoking other environments -  which
>requires either an ADDRESS (which I do not use) or quotes (which
>I do use).

Quotes are irrelevant to the issue. Whether you need them has nothing
to do with whether you use ADDRESS.

>I do understand both.

Your references to quotes suggest otherwise.

[1] Assuming that F and ALL are uninitialized and you are not
    trapping NOVALUE

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>