In
<CAE1XxDH=2+e+p2ag55ykgtwlc+ttbptqvrzv8iunhoaxpzg...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 07/27/2012
   at 10:34 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> said:

>Paul Gilmartin is almost right.  Both the reader and the punch
>read and punched what they were presented with.

What is that supposed to mean? Bit 2 of the CCW opcode selected
whether to read/punch EBCDIC or column binary.

>Sometimes it was BCD.

Not on any S/360 unit-record device.

>Sometimes it was EBCDIC.

Under programmer control.

>Sometimes, e.g., for object modules, it was 'column binary'.

No S/360 operating system used column binary for object decks. I don't
recall whether SOS, FMS and IBSYS used column binary or row binary on
the earlier 704, 709, 704x and 709x.

>Hard as it may be to do so, let's also try to avoid 'punch card',
>using 'punched card' instead.

Why? It is a card that you can punch holes in, but it is not punched
when you initially take it out of the box.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>