On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 22:03:06 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>>Paul Gilmartin is almost right.  Both the reader and the punch
>>read and punched what they were presented with.
>
>What is that supposed to mean? Bit 2 of the CCW opcode selected
>whether to read/punch EBCDIC or column binary.

Was that uniformly true?  A colleague of mine who had been using a
CDC 6400 as a graduate student  took a job with IBM in NY.  He took
some useful information with him in CDC column binary format;
two CDC Display Code characters per column.  He set himself his
first IBM Assembler exercise reading the data and converting to
EBCDIC.

When he got there, he was dismayed to be told that the CDC
binary format could not be read on IBM equipment, at least
not without a (separately priced?) feature.  (Hardware?  Software?)
True?  Or just brush off of a newbie by an admin who didn't
want to make a configuration change to enable a feature?

>No S/360 operating system used column binary for object decks. I don't
>recall whether SOS, FMS and IBSYS used column binary or row binary on
>the earlier 704, 709, 704x and 709x.

IIRC, data were generally column binary.  Some readers read row
binary with software matrix transposition.

>>Hard as it may be to do so, let's also try to avoid 'punch card',
>>using 'punched card' instead.
>
>Why? It is a card that you can punch holes in, but it is not punched
>when you initially take it out of the box.

"Punchable card"?

Is motor oil not "motor oil" until it's installed in a motor?
Is cat food not "cat food" until ...?

-- gil