There are now XIHF and XILF to do an Xor of the "high" 32 bits or the "low" 32
bit (respectively) with an immediate fullword.

Curiously, there are NIHF, NILF for fullword aNd Immediate fullword. But there
are also NIHH, NIHL, NILH, NILL to do halfword "and immediates" to bits 0..15,
16..31, 32..47, and 48..63 of the specified 64-bit register. Likewise, replace
the leading NI with OI for corresponding "Or Immediate" instructions.

Why was "Exclusive Or" short changed to not have the halfword immediate
variants? My guess is simply that IBM simply did not see any of their code
which required this. The "and" and "or" instruction variants may have been
implemented via multiple instructions in many places. I don't know.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group