The use of DeMorgan's rule, which was in fact known to Ockham, of
course perrmits

a & b =df ¬(¬a | ¬b)

or

a | b =df ¬(¬a & ¬b)

In this practical sense both ¬,| and ¬,& are universal.  At a more
formal level the need to establish DeMorgan's rule (or a more general
duality principle) as a theorem before it is used to dispense with
either & or | makes it "necessary" to specify all three of &,|,¬ as
universal.  Minimalist constructions thus usually opt to use one or
the other of NOR or NAND to construct the other 15 operations.

There was indeed a period, now past, when NOR logic was used to
construct many commercial computers.

John Gilmore, Ashland, Ma 01721 - USA