It used to (late 1980s and early 1990s.  At some used book dealers you used to
find the cover-less books available.  I do not know if it happens anymore.

Lloyd

----- Original Message ----
From: Ken Brick <kbr...@netspace.net.au>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Mon, August 6, 2012 6:08:07 PM
Subject: Re: [z390] Anyone want Source code listing of last VSE program product
Supervisor?

This was a common condition inserted by publishers of lots of books on a
monthly
basis and sale or return with the previous months books being removed from the
shelves. Rather than requiring the store to return the whole book back to the
publisher they required the store totear the front cover of the book and return
the book to the publisher to receive their credit. This left the store to get
rid of the books but not by sale as it was prohibited by the terms and
conditions of trade.

I'm sure even if indirectly similar events happen in the states,

Ken
On 7/08/2012 04:45 AM, David Andrews wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 14:30 -0400, Lindy Mayfield wrote:
>> Books I've bought from the UK say this in the front.  Seems a bit strict,
>> but
>>is this the same thing?
>> "This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of
>> trade
>>or
>> otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the
>>publisher's
>> prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is
>>published
>> and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the
>> subsequent purchaser."
> Perhaps this is to discourage resale of a stripped volume?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_book

-- Ken

Mob: 0409 009 764