On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
> In
> <CAFMxNW+NmuenEh0Tem8RnQdZ=jtgauuhsoilq6iussgrltr...@mail.gmail.com>,
> on 08/07/2012
>    at 12:03 PM, Sam Siegel <s...@pscsi.net> said:
>
>>An 0c7 is a data exception error detected by the hardware.
>
> No; it is an ABEND detected by the Program FLIH when there is no SPIE
> to catch interupt code 7.

Agreed ... this is the correct answer.  Thanks for pointing it out.
I'm forever forgetting Sxxx abends are generated by the OS in response
to interrupt codes.

>>Without examining the data and software, it is not possible to make
>>a definitive statement regarding the cause of the error.
>
> Wrong; the cause of the error is treating data as decimal without
> validating them.

This I disagree with.  A non RENT problem state program can
(relatively easily) have a memory overlay that changes either the data
or the code or both.  Insufficient information has been provided to