John McKown wrote:
>From what I recall from some time ago (my personal memory is like FLASH - the
>more I write, the more it is "worn out" and the faster it fails), back when
>PSI(?) had a z emulator on Itanium, IBM sued them. Some of the reasons given
>were:
>(1) that z/OS had a reputation in the field for extreme reliability;
>(2) much of z/OS's reliability was based on the z hardware's reliability and
>automatic recovery from errors;
>(3) allowing z/OS to run on non-z hardware would decrease z/OS's reliability
>due to decreased hardware reliability;
>(4) such reduction in reliability would adversely impact z/OS's reputation in
>the market place;
>(5) this would negatively impact sales and increase support costs
>(6) therefore, allowing z/OS to run on non-z hardware (at least in a
>non-development environment) was not in IBM's best interest.

Platform Solutions. They were indeed using a firmware layer on Itanium, built
based on the old Amdahl IP.

Although the points you cite were part of the suit, the real meat of the issue
was IBM's alleging that PSI had violated intellectual property agreements, as
well as for encouraging violation of its licensing agreements. IBM finally put
them out of their misery by buying them in 2008.
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III
p...@voltage.com<mailto:p...@voltage.com>