On 28 August 2012 23:28, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

> Actually, in HLASM I could do anything, even write my own TMP.  If I wanted
> to.
> If I knew how.  Couldn't I?

You perhaps could, but the how is no longer documented, and requires
use of OCO control blocks. IBM used to have a manual called Guide to
Writing a Terminal Monitor Program or a Command Processor (or maybe
the two topics were the other way around in the title), but that was
dropped in TSO/E, and replaced with a TSO/E Programming Guide, which
has little to say about the TMP, and nothing at all about writing one.

One might still be able to write an unauthorized TMP using a
combination of current and pre-TSO/E documentation, but it would be
difficult to support REXX and a number of other facilities. Of course
it can be argued that IEFBR14 is a TMP, but to go much beyond that
degenerate example would take a good deal of effort.

> And If I can prompt for passwords, I can
> copy them.  Sounds like a security exposure to me.

I'm not sure I see the exposure. If you are in a position to present a
fake logon screen, then you can of course capture passwords. This
exposure has been well known for half a century and was commonly
exploited in university terminal rooms of the 1970s. Any TSO
application program can issue a "logon" screen, and hope for the
gullible to pass by; it has nothing to do with writing a TMP that I
can see.

Tony H.