Turns out Gnumeric will treat the formulae right but Symphony won't. But
exporting to ODS format from Gnumeric and opening in Symphony preserves
the formulae.

(And, yes, Symphony's Help claims it would do the right thing.)

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog: