I learned the hard way. It was the first upgrade I was part of, I came in in
the middle and they were cutting corners applying to the live system. It really
breaks when the attempt to apply a PTF to IEBCOPY blows space in LINKLIB and
retry attempts to use the partially done copy of IEBCOPY to compress that
active LINKLIB.

Next time, and everytime since, I apply to a target volume, clone to an
operational volume and ipl. I actually never ipl from the SMP/E target
libraries.