From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Bill Fairchild
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Parsing (was: "New" way to do UCB lookups)

Typically in modern languages the vowel points, diacritic markings, syllabic
stress markers, etc., are only used in printed works that are used by beginning
learners of those languages.  Being a beginning learner in Greek once again
(and this time no drop-out), I have happily discovered that modern Greek texts
atypically have syllabic stress markers in each word.

My Latin teacher told me the same thing 50+ years ago - that punctuation,
inter-word spacing, capitalization, etc., were never necessary until people
stopped thinking.  Delving into other languages is a good way to expand one's
horizons and diminish one's provinciality.  Like anything else we learn to do,
I would wager that reading and writing in any language without punctuation,
capitalization, and spacing would get much easier after the first few thousand
hours of practice.  :-)

Bill Fairchild
Programmer
Rocket Software
408 Chamberlain Park Lane * Franklin, TN 37069-2526 * USA
t: +1.617.614.4503 *  e: bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com * w:
www.rocketsoftware.com