From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Parsing

If a blank is the token delimiter arbitrarily long tokens are possible even in
such a romance language as Italian.  I recently wrote a check on my Italian
bank account for duemilanovecentoquarantadue (2942) euros.  This twenty-seven
character construct is longer than such often cited German words as
Eisenbahnknotenpunkt, railroad junction,
20 characters, or Wahrscheinlichtkeitslehre, probability theory, 25 characters.

Parsing such Italian quantities is not, however, at all difficult.  I routinely
pose the problems of obtaining, say, centotrentadue from 132 and 132 from
centotrentadue to students, and they routinely produce PL/I procedures that
perform these two operations with great generality.

Gerhard of course understands these issues very well.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA