From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Roger W. Suhr
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Parsing

Incorrect observation:

Hund = Dog  not hound
Tier = Animal
Reh  = Deer (male female)
Rehbock = buck (male)

Regards

Roger W Suhr

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Lindy Mayfield
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:20 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

I like the ones that go from specific to general and the other way round.

Hund is dog, but a specific type of animal in English.
Tier is animal, but specifically deer in English.

And another thing which is curious, given how close English and German are from
the time they began to break apart, there are very few loan words in English
from German.

I used to know a few, but Schadenfreude is the one I always remember.

>From all other languages, we have a ton.  But German, very few.  Why?

Lindy