From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Bishop
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 7:24 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [External] Re: "Everyone wants to retire mainframes"

Interesting re 2):

"The survey found that organizations are running an average of four mainframes
with an average age of 17 years. Sixty-four percent are running mainframes
between 10 and 20 years old, with 28% running machines that are 20 to 30 years
old. "

So 2/7 are running machines over 20+ years old?  And 2/3 over 10 years? What
does that even mean?  Smells fishy to me.  What is the sample size?  Is it
biased somehow?

Cheers,
Peter

On 9/06/2020 10:02 pm, Bob Bridges wrote:
> A coworker just sent me this brief article.
>
> https://www.techrepublic.com/article/everyone-wants-to-retire-mainfram
> es-but-74-of-modernization-efforts-fail/
>
> I'm interested in two aspects of this:
>
> 1) The writer uses the word "modernization" quite a bit, and as far as I can
> tell she uses it, without explanation, to mean "switching from mainframes to
> more recently invented platforms".  This is the old assumption we've talked
> about recently.
>
> 2) There's a really surprising number in there:
>
> "...almost 100% of survey respondents plan to move legacy applications to the
> cloud this year and the motivation to move is clear:
>
> - 60% strongly agree they will be left behind competitively if they
> fail to modernize
> - 33% say modernizing has allowed the company to be more reactive to
> market changes
> - 34% say legacy modernization has accelerated digital transformation
> projects
>
> About three-quarters of leaders said they have started a modernization
> program but failed to complete it...."
>
> Can that "almost 100%" claim be true?  I confess that three out of my last
> three clients are talking about eliminating the mainframe, but I supposed it
> to be an anomaly.  Maybe the survey used the word "modernize" and the author
> ~assumed~ this must mean dropping the mainframe.
>
> The article also says "Mainframes are still critical to business operations
> with 71% of the Fortune 500 depending on these machines, including 92 of the
> world's 100 largest banks".  Come on - she's telling us that almost ~all~ of
> those companies intend to switch legacy applications to the cloud?  I just
> can't buy that.  ~My~ bank had certainly better not be planning such a move.
>
> ---
> Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
>
> /* If a problem has a single neck, it has a simple solution. */

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.