Maybe you are forgetting the whole backwards compatibility thing.

Do you really think IBM is worried about a bunch of hobbyists writing code or
reliving their youth on mainframes because they have some "lost" revenue in
that area?

You can join developerworks and license z/PDT, which is what I and most people
do.  It's not that expensive, and it won't kill you like buying that big old
Harley-Davidson will.

Brian