From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Brian Westerman [brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2020 2:08 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Migrate z/OS DASD volumes from Mainframe to Hercules Environment

Before anyone gets upset, this is ONLY my opinion, I'm not trying to force
anyone to do or believe things the way I do, so please don't flame me just
because you feel z/OS ought to be free (as in beer) just because you want to
use it and don't think you should have to pay.  I'm sure there are people who
say the same thing about the Disney theme parks, that they cost too much and
should be free or low cost, but that's just not going to happen and neither is
z/OS going to get a rate cut any time soon.

I don't think anyone on this list would consider running production under
Hercules or z/PDT, or even running production period.  What would production
even mean for most, if not all of us.  I think 99.9% of the people who use
Hercules have absolutely no interest in running a production data center on it.
 The people on this list who are already (or were) systems programmers have
little interest in starting up a production site "at home". :)

I agree that IBM would be well served to come up with a lower cost alternative
for people who want to just try stuff out.  But as all of us who are systems
programmers know, users have a really, really bad habit of breaking things, so
who would maintain that "shared" platform?  Certainly it can't be group
maintained by some shade-tree systems programmers out of some altruistic
feelings to help the world use z/OS.  I don't think I know 3 systems
programmers that can completely agree on how to run a single LPAR let alone
something that people want to be able to do their own I/O gens on (and actually
try it out to see if it works).  So IBM would have to probably create a (paid)
staff.  If we use something like the Dallas test center as an example, there
would be about a dozen people (minimum) absolutely necessary to fully support
the project (systems people, operators, help desk 24x7 shift support, etc.), so
we would be looking at a cost of (easily) $1.2 to $1.6Million (probably much
more).  If we take $1.4M and assume 300 people want to use it. That's over
$4,600 each, every year per user.  If there were more people it would obviously
be a bit cheaper, but remember, these aren't ordinary people using CICS to
answer customer service calls, these are systems programmers and applications
programmers who want to build and break stuff, create looping code, design some
stuff that probably doesn't work (yet), so the more you add the more staff they
will need to support it.

I think $10K up front and $900 a year to keep the subscription active and
current is VERY cost effective compared to a huge shared system with 300 other
people.

Besides, if you get 10 or even 5 people together and share the cost, I think
you can make z/PDT affordable for almost everyone and it's worth every penny.

Remember, it's just my opinion, you can read it, or not and agree or not, but
do take any of this personally, it's only meant to be my opinion on the
subject, not the holy grail or anything.

Brian