Low priority work may have exclusive access to other resources (locks,
enqueues, memory, etc.) which blocks (i.e., effectively preempts) higher
priority work.
In most cases, this type of "preemption" does not last long enough to be
significant; however, when your system is on running on the edge this effect
may be significant in your particular situation.

Don