Hi Don,

Very insightful of you.

It is commonly believed that "there can be no instance of where lower importance [lower priority] work can cause a higher importance level to miss its goals, except in the case of resource groups." This belief is mostly correct from a WLM dispatching priority assignment view. However, this belief has been incorrect in a general sense for a very long time. Not only can low importance work have access to other resources as you mentioned, low importance work can temporarily be given high dispatching priority.

As of z/OS V1R13, five categories are reported in SMF where relatively low importance work had its dispatching priority increased or promoted to a higher CPU dispatching priority: (1) R723ECTC (CPU time consumed while dispatching priority was temporarily raised by enqueue management); (2) R723TPDP (CPU time consumed while dispatching priority of work with low importance was temporarily raised to help blocked workloads); (3) R723CPDP (CPU time consumed while dispatching priority was temporarily raised by chronic resource contention management); (4) R723LPDP (CPU time consumed while dispatching priority was temporarily raised to shorten the lock hold time of a local suspend lock held by the work unit); and (5) R723SPDP (CPU time consumed while dispatching priority for a work unit was temporarily raised by the z/OS supervisor to a higher dispatching priority than assigned by WLM). Each category is used to help reduce bottlenecks or improve overall performance of work.

Sustained processor use in these categories typically is of short duration. However, I have data showing that enqueue promotion management for low importance work to a high dispatching priority was several minutes per RMF interval (more than 10 minutes in one set of data).

In many cases, CPU delays caused by promotion of dispatching priority will be insignificant, particularly if the effects of the dispatching priority promotion happen with LPARs having a relatively large number of processors. However, the effects can significantly degrade performance with a small number of logical processors assigned to an LPAR (or unparked with HiperDispatch).

If you see performance degradation of high importance work because of CPU Delay, you should check the values of the above SMF variables. Promoted dispatching priority of low importance work could be the culprit.

Regards,

******
Don Deese, Computer Management Sciences, Inc.
Voice: (804) 776-7109  Fax: (804) 776-7139
http://www.cpexpert.org
******