Barbara,
P AXR does appear in z/OS System Commands SA38-0666-40   and does show up in my
recently downloaded kc4z  V2.4.

As far as the command taking down AXRxx's,  it sounds like it will:

The STOP AXR command terminates System REXX in a graceful manner, waiting for
active requests to
complete before terminating the address space. If active requests do not
complete within a period of
approximately 1 minute after the command is issued, the command fails.

Dana