It's part of that generic MVS principle from at least the 1970's, if not
earlier, that things that can be shut down cleanly before an IPL should
be, to minimize partially completed transactions, partial updates to a
collection of related data sets, database updates that haven't yet
reached a commit point, records written to output data sets but not yet
flushed from buffers to DASD, subsystems left in a state which makes
restart more difficult, etc, etc.

When you have no idea what some system address space is doing under the
covers, you have no way to know whether it has potential to be a problem
or not, unless lack of exposure is explicitly stated somewhere, or it is
just impossible to terminate.   And obviously you don't want system
address spaces that you can't easily terminate if they could in turn
prevent the normal shutdown of JES or some other system address space
that benefits from a controlled shutdown.

Yes, a forced IPL or "pulling the plug" with things still running
certainly resets all running address spaces,  but the potential for
increased DB2 recovery time and potential need to recover damaged or
inconsistent tables and data sets, and the possibility of JES job output
on DASD not even accurately reflecting what batch job step was running
at the point of interruption when restarting rudely interrupted jobs
makes that a less-than-optimum approach that can potentially delay by
many minutes the availability of a system for production usage after an
IPL.   At a minimum you want to be able to quiesce any address spaces
that are processing end-user transactions or jobs, or processing service
requests in support of that workload (and the number of z/OS address
spaces in that latter category seems to be continually growing).

Every SysProg I've known always believed you minimized your pain by
always doing a controlled shutdown of as much as possible before
"pulling the plug", but I suspect most have also encountered occasional
cases where some software, hardware, or environmental issue didn't offer
much of a choice.
    Joel C Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing