On 2020-09-04 17:01, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
I see everything twice:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 19:05:32 +0000, Robert Prins wrote:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 19:06:49 +0000, Robert Prins wrote:

Yes, problems posting. Should be OK now.

And I don't think that anyone in their right mind would ever use anything like
your SQRT(X**TWO + Y**TWO). We once had a contractor who would use TRUE and
FALSE rather than just '1'b and '0'b, and did his compares as

select(var_a = var_b);
   when(true) ...
   when(false) ...
end;

Shouldn't that just be IF ... THEN ... ELSE?

Of course it should.

He didn't last very long!

I feel FALSE and TRUE should be compiler intrinsics even though
they are rarely useful.  But I'm a Pascal partisan.

When I'm not running z/OS at home, I also dabble in (Virtual) Pascal. I tried FreePascal on many occasions, but it still lacks one important Turbo Pascal feature, and the IDE, sorry to say, stinks.

However as a Pascal partisan, you should love(?) the NOLAXQUAL compiler option, one of the options (when used) that takes away one of the best features of PL/I, which is that as long as the compiler can uniquely find a variable in its symbol table, you do not have to fully qualify it. Wit the the NOLAXQUAL compiler option you will have to use myvar.thislevel.array.struct.variant.plorkestein, even if "plorkestein" is the only variable in the program with that name, which is one of the worst features of Pascal.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins(a)gmail.com