On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 17:10:36 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>Sounds to me like the documentation writer was a bit confused.  Looks to me
>like it should read instead:
>
>If th nnumber 3.1416 is used in more than one place in the program, then you
>*should* declare it as a named constant.
>If it requires specific data or precision attributes at different places in
>the program, then you *must* declare it as a named constant.

Yes.  The first sentence discusses style and belongs in a Programmers Guide.
It should just be removed from a Language Reference.

I haven't Enterprise PL/I.  Can anyone supply a compiled counterexample,
perhaps:
        area = (radius**2) * 3.1416;
        volume = (radius**3) * 4/3 * 3.1416;
...?  I'll submit an RCF.