On 2020-09-05 05:03, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 17:10:36 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

Sounds to me like the documentation writer was a bit confused. Looks to me like it should read instead:

If th nnumber 3.1416 is used in more than one place in the program, then you *should* declare it as a named constant.

No. "Even "should" is too strong.

As I wrote earlier. "may" should have been used.

If it requires specific data or precision attributes at different places in the program, then you *must* declare it as a named constant.

Yes. The first sentence discusses style and belongs in a Programmers Guide.
It should just be removed from a Language Reference.

I haven't Enterprise PL/I. Can anyone supply a compiled counterexample,
perhaps:
        area = (radius**2) * 3.1416;
        volume = (radius**3) * 4/3 * 3.1416;
...?  I'll submit an RCF.

As for writing formulas, I prefer to follow a well-known formula, thus:

volume = 4/3 * 3.14159 * radius**3

However, if I'm interested in efficiency, I'd prefer

volume = 4 * 3.14159E0 / 3 * radius**3