From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Greg Price <greg.pr...@optusnet.com.au>
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2020 11:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Constant Identifiers

On 2020-09-05 3:01 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>      If the number 3.1416 is used in more than one place in the program,
>      or if it requires specific data or precision attributes, you must declare
>      it as a named constant.

In the olden days - years before the iPhone 6 was a thing - there were
people called Technical Writers. Now-a-days we have Information
Developers, referred to as ID.  A few years back there seemed to be a
religious phase where IBM ID went on a crusade to remove weasel words
from documentation.

(I'm no longer at IBM, so I don't know if this "phase" persists or not.)

This seemed to take the form of global changes whenever a new version of
the manual was being prepared, where every instance of a word on the
"weasel list" was replaced by its more definite counterpart.

For example, something like:
"If the PDS directory is corrupt then the library scan may abend."
became
"If the PDS directory is corrupt then the library scan will abend."

The latter sentence implies that if the library scan did not abend then
the PDS directory cannot be corrupt in any way, which was not the
original information that the author was trying to convey.

You can -> You must
It may -> It will
It should - It will

That last one is probably the sort of thing they were really trying to
fix, I expect, as in:
"If there is an I/O error, the scan should skip the bad block."
"If there is an I/O error, the scan will skip the bad block."

As it was, whole sections of text I wrote for our product took on
meanings I hadn't intended, and sometimes the "edited" text became
outright lies.

Anyway, in case you haven't guessed yet, that's what I think happened in
the quoted item from the PL/I LRM.

Cheers,
Greg