From: "Bob Bridges" <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 8:29 AM

To tell you the truth, I haven't written for a compiler in long enough that
I don't have any idea which ones do what.  I wouldn't trust REXX, CLIST or
VBA to do it; I try to assume the worst, and make such things explicit.

Actually I might not trust a compiler to do it, either, even if I knew that
you're right.  I'm just not very trusting about such things.

(And it's not ~very~ obfuscatory.  In real life I'd include a comment,
something like this:

 SphereVolConst=4/3*3.14159E0 /* for calculating the volume of a sphere
inside the loop */

Why do that, when the compiler will probably do it for you,
or, if it doesn't, it will evaluate the constant part at compilation time --
which is effectively the same thing.

That looks like a lot of documentation, to some programmers.  But the older
I get, the more comments I write into even fairly simple programs.)

---