So, it's the invocation of EDIT that's causing the error.

If you add an ISPLOG DD (RECFM VBA, LRECL 125) do you get more info?

Otherwise we're into adding some say statements in to see what &DSN,
&MEMBER and &ME are set to, and wrapping the whole thing in CONTROL ERRORS
so we can see what we get back in ZERRLM after the failure.

I did say it did limited error handling 😀

Andy