From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 11:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Request for help with removing sequence numbers from PDS members

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:20:17 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>ISREDIT is only valid for an edit macro. You need on script to invoke EDIT and
>a second script running as an IMACRO for the edit. If they are in SYSPROC then
>you need to start the first comment with REXX.

Is the initial command environment ISPEXEC?  My experience has been it's TSO.

>   /* Outer script */
>  parse upper arg dataset
>  "CONTROL ERRORS RETURN"
>  'EDIT DATASET('dataset') MACRO(STRIPED')'
>  /* Tailor above to suit your needs */
>
>  /* Inner script */
>  'CONTROL ERRORS RETURN'
> ADDRESS ISREDIT
>  'UNNUMBER'

The first command must be MACRO.

>  'SAVE'
> 'END'

These might be combined in a single EXEC (untested):

   /* Rexx */
  address ISPEXEC  /* at least for documentation.  */
  "CONTROL ERRORS RETURN"
  call INITIAL
  parse upper arg dataset
  /* Logic to enumerate members?  */
  'EDIT DATASET('dataset') MACRO(STRIPED')'  /* Unbalanced "'"? )
  /* Tailor above to suit your needs */
  EXIT

  /* Initial Macro script */
INITIAL:
 ADDRESS ISREDIT
 'MACRO'
 IF RC<>0 RETURN
  /* Is NUMBER needed before UNNUMBER if not all members are numbered?  */
  'UNNUMBER'
  'SAVE'
 'END'
 EXIT