W dniu 03.02.2021 o 21:40, Tony Harminc pisze:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 11:36, Bernd Oppolzer <bernd.oppol...@t-online.de> wrote:
Am 30.01.2021 um 00:39 schrieb Tony Harminc:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 18:21, Radoslaw Skorupka <r.skoru...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Few remarks:
4. Source code EBCDIC-ASCII translation. Example: I hate REXX
translation. REXX use || characters while in CP852 it should be !!.
Simple translation corrupts REXX code. C code is corrupted as well.
The | character is at the same code point X'7C' in CP852 (ISO Latin-2)
as it is in CP819 (ISO Latin-1) and most other European language CPs.
The ! character is at X'21' in CP852 and most others. So your problem
is with neither REXX nor with CP852 - it's presumably with some bad
translation table in your FTP or TN3270 or...
The problem is not at the client side (ASCII codepages);
the problem is that the EBCDIC codepages in Europe have the
exclamation point (!) at the place, where the American EBCDIC has |,
and so, if you transfer from an European EBCDIC codepage (273, for
example), which is standard here in Europe, you will get exclamation points
instead of | on the PC.
But this is still a problem of using the wrong translation table - not
of REXX or of EBCDIC or ASCII (ISO) code pages. All of the mentioned
CPs contain both the | and ! characters, so any translation that
changes one character to another is wrong. (I understand some historic
reasons for intentionally mistranslating - mostly because various
terminals could not enter or display certain characters. But in the
days of terminal emulators, there is surely no longer any excuse.)

Yes and no.
It can be fixed by customization of translation tables. At least for REXX code. However it will break translation of regular text with punctuations. So, one has to choose: REXX or regular text. More the responsibility of terminal emulator user is to ...use it. When installing PCOMM I have no customization questions with regard to translation tables - installation program recognize my Windows locale and follow it. After I installed PCOMM, Nexus or other emulator I can use IND$FILE or simply copy-paste. Both methods work - the EBCDIC text is translated to ASCII and vice versa. Almost all characters. A, B, C, space - it will be translated correctly. However exclamation mark and | will not be translated as REXX code require. Can I change translation tables for the above processes? Yes, at least in PCOMM I remember how to do it. But this is quite nonstandard operation. Last but not least: there is still need to recognize the purpose of transmitted content - is it REXX code or just a text.

That's why I strongly prefer to use XMIT format for REXX sources. Nothing will be lost in translation, because there is no translation.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
(looking for new job)