On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 11:36, Bernd Oppolzer <bernd.oppol...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Am 30.01.2021 um 00:39 schrieb Tony Harminc:
> > On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 18:21, Radoslaw Skorupka <r.skoru...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Few remarks:
> >> 4. Source code EBCDIC-ASCII translation. Example: I hate REXX
> >> translation. REXX use || characters while in CP852 it should be !!.
> >> Simple translation corrupts REXX code. C code is corrupted as well.
> > The | character is at the same code point X'7C' in CP852 (ISO Latin-2)
> > as it is in CP819 (ISO Latin-1) and most other European language CPs.
> > The ! character is at X'21' in CP852 and most others. So your problem
> > is with neither REXX nor with CP852 - it's presumably with some bad
> > translation table in your FTP or TN3270 or...
>
> The problem is not at the client side (ASCII codepages);
> the problem is that the EBCDIC codepages in Europe have the
> exclamation point (!) at the place, where the American EBCDIC has |,
> and so, if you transfer from an European EBCDIC codepage (273, for
> example), which is standard here in Europe, you will get exclamation points
> instead of | on the PC.

But this is still a problem of using the wrong translation table - not
of REXX or of EBCDIC or ASCII (ISO) code pages. All of the mentioned
CPs contain both the | and ! characters, so any translation that
changes one character to another is wrong. (I understand some historic
reasons for intentionally mistranslating - mostly because various
terminals could not enter or display certain characters. But in the
days of terminal emulators, there is surely no longer any excuse.)

Tony H.