This is refreshable, and even runs on S/360

         L     R15,PTR
         LTR   R15,R15
         BNZ   CALLIT
         ...        ...                                    Code that always
leaves the same value in R15
         ST    R15,PTR
CALLIT   BALR  R14,R15
PTR      DC    A(0)

This is reentrant, and requires at least S/370

RETRY    L     R1,COUNTER
         LA    R0,1(,R1)
         CS    R1,,R0,COUNTER
         BNE   RETRY