You're missing the point. Those utilities are designed to be run in z/OS UNIX processes not as batch jobs. There are some benefits to that such as being able to programmatically recovery from errors such as x37 abends.  I don't particularly like those utilities. At Rocket we have much better Python tooling to dynamically allocate data sets and invoke programs. But IBM has ported Python now so that's strategic.