For what it's worth, literally decades ago I changed all my default logmodes to
D4x3290 and never looked back.   It will fall back to 24x80 if there's an
issue, which works on all emulated 3270s.  Granted, this was on z/VM, which had
native non-SNA 3720 support long before it ever had VCNA or VTAM.

In any case, I quit getting phone calls from people.  (VTAM no longer runs on
the system I did network management on, so it's no longer an issue for anyone
- esp. me!)

Alan Altmark
Senior Managing z/VM Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services