The attribute byte does not really take up a space on the screen. Within the datasteam, you can put stuff on the screen 'out of order' and thus put something else on the screen that overwrites the spot you thought you put the attribute byte into. So, if build the datasteam from end to start, you can do some nifty things. No, you can't do it with BMS.

Many years ago, another programmer showed me the technique he used in assembler programs.

A few years later, I wrote a set of Cobol routines to build screens without using BMS. And using his method, I was able to even change the color within what appeared to be a single field.

One issue is that the rules are different in what you can do for input vs output fields.

It's been 25+ years since I did this, so many of the details have been misplaced within my gray matter. :-)

Tony Thigpen