-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Gary Weinhold
Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2022 12:19

It was a great video, I agree, especially if you could watch it without closed
captioning.  My experience with closed captioning in contrast to proper
subtitling has led me to believe that most (all?) closed captioning is done by
voice recognition software coupled with simultaneous interpretation software
without human review or editing.  I think it's true for some movies too,
because I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than paying a person with the skills and
knowledge to translate the original script or the sound track.  When it's
really bad, it's not only distracting, it can ruin the experience.  In
contrast, well-done movie subtitling while listening to the foreign language
soundtrack can be an excellent experience.

I feel it's still an area where the current technology is quite limited (albeit
significantly faster and cheaper) compared to human capabilities. I wonder if
it's possible for a video creator to edit the closed-captions for a particular
language to correct errors?