/s/ Anthony L. ZakJo,z
-------- Original message --------From: Sean Gleann <sean.gle...@gmail.com>
Date: 4/21/22  2:57 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU Subject: Re:
[IBM-MAIN] Use of zCX @Robert Garrett (with a sigh of relief!) 15 minutes for
z/CX to come up ona z/OS under z/VM at Dallas?   Me too. I thought I was doing
somethingwrong, but couldn't get any useful feedback from IBM/Dallas about
the'problem'.SeanOn Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 04:57, kekronbekron
<000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:> Apologies if this
seems rash.> Certainly don't mean to belittle people's work; many are
restricted with> choices, procedures, etc.> If it isn't for the cost of being
an MF s/w vendor, competent new> solutions would steal the show.> Much like
most of y'all, I want Z to remain king of the hill.>> -KB>> ------- Original
Message -------> On Thursday, April 21st, 2022 at 9:06 AM, kekronbekron <>
000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:>>> > As an observer, I
reckon IBM are forced to use OpenShift because they've> got to get RedHat in
there.> > Also, since everyone knows the word Docker now, the Z "has to have
it".> > Surely the industry is now waking up to the mess that is the
Kubernetes> ecoystem mgmt., service MESS.> >> > I do wonder... for those who
thought setting up zOSMF RACF was painful,> what their journey will be for zCX
and OpenShift.> > Just saying, "it's free because zIIP" doesn't make it good.>
> No Ferrari owner should be "compelled" to use a unicycle's wheel just>
because it's free.> >> > IMHO, "Me too" solutions are seriously ruining the
reputation of the Z> with the ridiculous CPU, memory, storage requirements.> >
I thought it was ridiculous that RDz wanted a few gigabytes of memory> for the
JVM.> > Rebadged oldware, with web stack & interface from early 2010s, are now>
coming to compete with Chrome, in their lust for memory and such.> >> > - KB> >
------- Original Message -------> > On Thursday, April 21st, 2022 at 4:22 AM,
Tony Harminc t...@harminc.net> wrote:> >> >> >> > > On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 at
18:00, Robert Garrett rob...@garrettfamily.us> wrote:> > >> > > [...]> > >> > >
> It likes a LOT of real memory and it appears that the running> instance
consumes the full amount of real memory allocated to it for the> duration,
making it unavailable to zOS for paging or any other use. Don't> believe the
claim that it can run in as little> > > > as 2GB. The experimental test
instance that I built had 3GB> allocated to it (the most I could give it on the
LPAR I was using) and it> took a full 15 minutes (yes minutes) by the clock for
the address space to> initialize and reach the point where it was> > > >
functional - on every start up. Admittedly, this was on a zOS image> that was
being hosted under zVM at IBM Dallas, so I'm sure that had some> impact.> > >>
> > That smells like three levels of SIE, which to my understanding is> > >
never going to perform reasonably.> > >> > > Tony H.> > >> > >
IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,> > > send email to
lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN> >> >> >