From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Brennan
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 9:04 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Mark your calendars for July 10, 2022 - CustomPac
intended removal date

Since z/OSMF is written in java, then why can't that high-CPU work run on
another platform such as Power or x86, and then communicate with the mainframe
for the z/OS work (i.e. submit jobs or whatever it does to run the actual
installation).  Or am I thinking too far out of the box?

On 5/19/2022 6:15 PM, David Crayford wrote:
> On 20/5/22 08:23, Andrew Rowley wrote:
>>
>>> Having a zIIP gives you plenty of horsepower for z/OSMF, and having
>>> an IBM z15 gives you System Recovery Boost which gives you…plenty of
>>> horsepower for z/OSMF at least during the first 60 minutes. (It’s
>>> the z/OSMF startup that can take a long time on a low capacity
>>> configuration.
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if once people start using z/OSMF, it's not
>> just the startup that is slow on a small system. Maybe IBM should
>> give everyone one zIIP with their z/OS 2.5 license... it might even
>> be a useful stimulus for smaller z/OS sites.
>

> 100% agree. The z/EDC ASIC is now free and on-die on the new hardware.
> IBM should do the same with at least 1 zIIP.

> email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN .

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.