From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Mike Schwab
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 2:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Mark your calendars for July 10, 2022 - CustomPac
intended removal date

Doesn't IBM also allow software capping to a lower capacity than the slowest
uniprocessor through the operating system?

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 5:54 AM Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:

> Andrew Rowley wrote:
> >It would benefit customers, software vendors and IBM if IBM could get
> >these small systems onto more reasonably sized hardware. We get a
> >certain pleasure from extracting everything possible from a small
> >system, but in reality it's not productive work.
>
> That’s been happening, actually. Take a look at the minimum configurable CP
> (general purpose processor) “PCIs” per IBM’s LSPR data:
>
> z10BC: 25
> z114: 26
> zBC12: 50
> z13s: 80
> z14 ZR1: 88
> z15 T02: 98*
>
> As I recall the Multiprise 2000 went down as low as ~3.5 PCIs. So over
> roughly 25 years it’s been about 3.5 to 98 PCIs as the minimum available CP
> configuration, or about a 28X increase. Insert the usual caveats that “PCI”
> comparisons are perilous, particularly over this broad range of machines.
>
> IBM doesn’t mandate configuring a zIIP in part because z/VSE and VSEn cannot
> use a zIIP. But IBM generally recommends configuring at least one zIIP if you
> run z/OS. zIIPs are (or were) available for all of these models and also for
> the z9BC.
>
> * As Marna mentioned the IBM z15 models have System Recovery Boost. The IBM
> z15 T02 capacity model A01 would actually run equivalently to a Z01 capacity
> model during System Recovery Boost (60 minutes), or with even greater
> capacity if equipped with a zIIP. An IBM z15 T02 capacity model Z01 has a PCI
> rating of 1,761.
>
> — — — — —
> Timothy Sipples
> Senior Architect
> Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cyber Security IBM zSystems
> and LinuxONE sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.