Cloud - Something the mainframe has been doing for decades. We called it
outsourcing. GM ran their entire organization out of mainframes in Charlotte,
Dallas, & perhaps another in the 80’s. The internet just made it easier, and
less secure & reliable. Brought outsourcing to a wider audience.

Mainframe modernization. An oxymoron. Like saying today’s cars are like cars
from 50 years ago. The mainframe is more advanced than any other platforms.
Billions of dollars of investment and patented technologies have guaranteed its
place for decades to come.

Sure, AWS, Azure, Oracle cloud & numerous others are creating cheap, unsecured,
unreliable, platforms for small businesses, picture storage, emails, instant
messaging, and many other tasks that aren’t show stoppers if they’re hacked or
down for one of many reasons. As Capital One found out and lost almost 200
million for the pleasure.

I enjoy the glee that many of you exude when IBM has what might be perceived as
negative news. I saw the same glee when in the 90’s some idiot said the
mainframe would be history circa 2000.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, June 17, 2022, 9:06 AM, zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 5:50 AM David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's the case that customers don't want to use IBMs cloud. Where I
> live in Australia the big four banks are moving significant chunks of
> their infrastructure to public cloud and have government legislation to
> do so. NAB in particular have been quite aggressive, although like most
> sensible enterprises they have gone down the multi-cloud route with
> Microsoft Azure so they don't have all their eggs in one basket.
>
> It will be interesting to see if IBM can close the cloud gap. Playing
> catch-up is difficult when competing with behemoths with a decade+ head
> start.

Indeed. Word from insiders is that since IBM "management" have decided
cloud is The Answer, folks have started playing games, like attributing all
CICS-related revenue as "cloud". Q4 2020, IBM claimed $6.2B in cloud
revenue on total revenue of $16B. Given that nobody EVER says"cloud" and
"IBM" in the same sentence in the real world, those numbers are quite
difficult to believe without this kind of gameplaying.