On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 13:28:57 +0100, Martin Packer <martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com>
wrote:

>I'm running a residency in the Autumn on 2.1 code (and you'll see an
>announcement as this one is expected to welcome customer etc nominations
>shortly). I mention this because Symbol Substitution via PARMDD is quite
>likely to feature. What I'll want to figure out then is whether the "only
>in instream" restriction is going to be significant.
>
>We're likely to parameterise things that look like clone jobstream number
>as well as some character strings related thereto.
>
>But for now thanks Peter for pointing out this restriction. It might
>affect what we do.

I think you're looking at it wrong, Martin. (And I'm serious in that statement.)

There is no restriction. Rather, if you choose to use in-stream data, then as
an added enhancement you get to use symbols. That applies any place you choose
to use in-stream data, for any program reading the data.

But no program that is reading data from a disk or tape data set, or from a
UNIX file, gets symbol substitution unless it chooses to implement the
substitution itself, and few (if any, as far as I know) do so.

--
Walt