On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:40:30 -0600, Dave Jones wrote:

>Recently the BBC posted an article about how the grow in Irish data centers
>(or "centres" for the Brits) is causing a possible power crises. See "Can we
>make the internet less power-thirsty?"
>(https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64429819). Sounds like a great opportunity
>for IBM to highlight the sustainability of large numbers of Linux on z servers
>running on a z16 box.
>Hopefully somebody at IBM is taking a hard look at this now.

Link on listserv.ua gets 404.  Perhaps:
<https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64429819>?

Do z systems, like personal systems, operate at reduced energy consumption when
idle?
It's only a partial answer that the z is optimized for peak performance 24*7*52.

Popular media, driven by sensation, emphasize the demands of crypto mining.
How does that
compare?  And what fraction of total energy use, including domestic,
agriculture, transportation,
manufacturing ...?

--
gil