I don’t know, but I imagine there is more detail in the scientific study it’s
based on. I don’t have access to it.

The study findings were published on Thursday in an article in the journal
Science. It was a collaboration of five scientists at Northwestern University,
the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and an independent research firm. The
project was funded by the Department of Energy and by a grant from a
Northwestern alumnus who is an environmental philanthropist.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, February 11, 2023, 1:22 PM, Paul Gilmartin
<0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 17:40:21 +0000, Bill Johnson wrote:
>The digital services churned out by the world’s computer centers are
>multiplying, but their energy use is not, thanks to cloud computing, a new
>study says.
>
>  - Share on Facebook
>  - Share on WhatsApp
>  - Post on Twitter
>  - Mail

Are these ranked?  Actual numbers would be interesting.  "Mail" surprises me.
But I mail few
resources and I don't quote attachments.  In fact, I prune quotations.

>The largest cloud data centers, sometimes the size of football fields, are
>owned and operated by big tech companies like Google, Microsoft, Amazon and
>Facebook.
>Over the years, data center electricity consumption has been a story of
>economic incentives and technology advances combining to tackle a problem.

Do they use:
o IBM z?
o IBM supercomputers?
o Others, such as overseas-sourced (specify)?

--
gil